Javascript is currently disabled. This site requires Javascript to function correctly. Please enable Javascript in your browser!


Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Photo & Video Permit

I am a semi-professional photographer and would like to snap some skyline shots from the park. I was even thinking about taking some clients there. Are there specific photo and video permits for the park?
asked 6/2/2014
Park Lover7

1 Answer

When it comes to permits and fees, it is important to specify which one of the parks you are taking photos in. The LIC waterfront actually feature a city park (Hunter’s Point South Park) and a state park (Gantry Plaza State Park) peacefully coexisting side by side. With their location and their seamless designs, many visitors stroll back and forth between these two parks without ever realizing that they are actually moving between New York City and State parks.  

New York State Parks have strict rules when it comes to photography and filming and expressly ban commercial photography without a permit. Film and commercial photo shoots, which includes wedding photography and student shoots, require a permit from the NYS Parks Department. The contact person is Lillian Lee (, 212 866-3100). The instructions on how to apply and application form are available online (a $30 nonrefundable permit application fee must be submitted). 
The fees are not officially stated online, but have been quoted to be $135. The rules are strictly enforced and park rangers manning Gantry Plaza State Park often ask anyone using tripods or lightning equipment to produce the official permit. 

In Hunter’s Point South Park, located south of Gantry Park, clearance for film and photography is required from the administrative authority of the park. However, the rules pertaining to photography seem to be less strict, and according to the website of the Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting “permits are not be required for casual photographers, tourists, credentialed members of the media or other members of the public who do not use vehicles or equipment or assert exclusive use of City property. Standing on a street, walkway of a bridge, sidewalk or other pedestrian passageway while using a hand-held device and not otherwise asserting exclusive use of City property is not an activity that requires a permit.” The Queens Borough Office can be reached at (718) 393-7272 to provide more information. 

In general, both parks are a photographer’s dream, full of vantage points for taking amazing photos of the New York skyline in the background.  

answered 6/2/2014 Big Apple Writer 8
edited 6/2/2014
Big Apple Writer8

Your Answer

In order to provide an answer to this question, you must Login

I am flagging this question because…

10 inform moderator flags remaining

I am deleting this question because…

I am flagging this answer because…

10 inform moderator flags remaining

Flagging a Post

You have already flagged this post. Clicking “Remove Flag” below will remove your flag, thus reducing the count by one as well.

I am deleting this answer because…

Asset 1